Trial ahead for 2 women accused of helping Trev Jackson II evade capture

Liz Evans Scolforo

Two of three women accused of helping alleged would-be cop killer Trev Bowies Jackson II evade capture are now facing trial, and one of them is being released from prison.

Trev Jackson II is charged with attempted homicide on a Northern Regional police officer.

Jackson, 24, formerly of the 100 block of East College Avenue, remains a fugitive on the charges of attempted homicide, aggravated assault on a police officer and reckless endangerment. He is a convicted felon who isn't allowed to possess firearms.

Anyone with information about his whereabouts is urged to call 911 immediately. Police said he should be considered armed and dangerous.

Jackson is accused of firing a pistol three times directly at the face of Northern York County Regional Police Officer Lynn Anderson during a 10 p.m. Nov. 22 traffic stop along Route 30 in Manchester Township.

Anderson dove out of the way and avoided being shot, then returned fire and wounded Jackson in the left hand as Jackson fled in a vehicle, police have said.

Billboards show Trev Bowies Jackson II's photo and note there's a $5,000 reward for his arrest.

Jackson's on-again/off-again girlfriend, Cathilia Laureano, appeared Thursday before Emigsville-area District Judge Jeffrey Oberdorf and waived her right to a preliminary hearing.

In exchange for her waiver, senior deputy prosecutor Kelley Nelson requested a bail modification for Laureano to unsecured supervised bail, meaning Laureano wouldn't have to post any money to be released. Nelson said the woman has no prior criminal record.

"She has two children," public defender Catherine Himes told Oberdorf.

Cathilia Laureano

Judge 'reluctant': Oberdorf granted the request, changing Laureano's $100,000 bail to $100,000 unsecured bail, meaning she could forfeit that amount if she misses court hearings. The judge ordered Laureano be supervised by probation officers while free on bail, and said he was only willing to make the change because the prosecution requested it.

"You helped someone who allegedly tried to kill a police officer," and who could try to kill another officer, Oberdorf told her. "I'm reluctant to do this."

"Thank you, I appreciate it," Laureano replied. She was expected to be released from York County Prison Thursday evening, a prison official said.

Her apparent aunt, Xeomarie Velez-Quinones, chose to have her preliminary hearing Thursday morning. After listening to testimony, Oberdorf determined enough evidence exists for her to stand trial in York County Court.

Velez-Quinones, 33, of 428 W. Philadelphia St., first floor, remains in county prison on $100,000 bail, charged with two counts of hindering the apprehension of a suspect.

Xeomarie Velez-Quinones

Laureano, 23, of 337 W. Market St., Apt. 4D, is charged with four counts of hindering the apprehension of a suspect.

'Had to know': The two women might not have known that Jackson allegedly shot at a police officer at point-blank range, but the fact that he showed up at Laureano's home with a gunshot wound to his hand and was reticent to say how it happened should have made them suspicious, Oberdorf said.

"They had to know there was criminal activity going on," he said.

Oberdorf acknowledged that both women allegedly lied repeatedly to a deputy U.S. marshal searching for Jackson and only told the truth about being with Jackson after learning there was evidence he'd been with them — and that they could be charged with felonies for lying to police.

When Velez-Quinones' defense attorney, Wayne Gracey, argued his client and Laureano eventually told the truth, Oberdorf wasn't impressed.

The judge likened it to running a stop sign, seeing a police officer, then backing up and stopping for the stop sign.

Testimony: Nelson called just one witness for Velez-Quinones' preliminary hearing — Deputy U.S. Marshal Philip R. Lewis III.

Lewis testified he and other members of the U.S. Marshals Service Fugitive Task Force went to Laureano's apartment on Nov. 23, hours after the shooting incident, and spotted a bloody white BMX bicycle in the lobby of her apartment building. The bike matched the description of a bicycle stolen from a Manchester Township shed, allegedly by Jackson, Lewis said.

The task force members found blood on the doorknob of Laureano's apartment door as well. They forced entry inside, but "the place was empty," Lewis said.

Inside, they found an open bag of Jackson's bloody clothes in the bathroom along with a bottle of peroxide, according to Lewis.

Surveillance video and information from a neighbor led the task force to Velez-Quinones' apartment, where they found her and a crying Laureano, he said.

'Came clean': Laureano eventually admitted Jackson showed up at her door injured and that she cleaned his wound, wrapped it in a pair of tights and called Velez-Quinones in a panic, according to Lewis. Defense attorney Gracey said Velez-Quinones is Laureano's aunt.

Velez-Quinones eventually admitted she drove to Laureano's home, picked up Laureano and Jackson, and drove them back to her home, Lewis testified. She said after pulling up, Jackson got out of the car and kept going, that he didn't go inside her apartment that day, the deputy marshal said.

He also testified the women indicated Jackson didn't tell them how he got shot.

Lewis said he told the women, "Just tell the truth; you won't get in trouble," but that the women lied for at least a half-hour before they "came clean."

The third woman charged with hindering the apprehension of Jackson is Cristina Perez, 23, of 223 Park St. in York City. Oberdorf forwarded her case to York County Court for trial following her March 31 preliminary hearing.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at