SUBSCRIBE NOW
99¢ per month for 3 months
SUBSCRIBE NOW
99¢ per month for 3 months

West Manchester Twp. fire displaces 2

Christopher Dornblaser
717-505-5436/@YDDornblaser

A chimney fire displaced two West Manchester Township residents Monday night.

The fire, which occurred at a home on the 2500 block of Chestnut Road, was called in around 10 p.m. and was caused by a malfunction in the chimney wall, according to West Manchester Township Fire Chief Clifton Laughman.

Several fire engines lined the street leading up to the home, but they were there as a precautionary measure.

"Well, I called extra people in for manpower," Laughman said, adding that some of his firefighters were busy when the fire was initially called in.

Initially there were reports of flames and smoke coming out of the home, but when firefighters arrived they saw heavy smoke coming from the home and fire inside it, according to Laughman.

Firefighters respond to a scene of a chimney fire on the  2500 block of Chestnut Road.

Firefighters had to tear down some walls to ensure the fire was fully put out. Laughman said it took them between 25 and 30 minutes to have it under control.

He did not have a damage estimate Monday night, but he said it was looking to be around $200,000.

Firefighters respond to a scene of a chimney fire on the  2500 block of Chestnut Road.

Around midnight there were still some firefighters at the scene.

No one was injured in the fire, and the two displaced people will be staying with friends.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com.