Police warn of man posing as Met-Ed employee in scam

Firefighters eye aftermarket charger as cause of blaze

Christopher Dornblaser

A townhouse fire displaced two young men in Hanover Monday night. The fire occurred around 9 p.m. on the 200 block of Carlisle Street at the rear of a two-story townhouse.

Fire burned this house on Carlisle Street in Hanover Monday night. Dawn J. Sagert photo

Hanover and Penn Township Deputy Fire Chief Tony Clousher said the fire appears to have been caused by an aftermarket phone charger. Two brothers were renting the townhouse, and they were not home when the fire started.

Jonathan Carbajal, 22, of New Oxford, whose parents are landlords for the townhouse, said one of the men had left to pick up the other, and when they returned, the apartment was on fire. He said the fire department responded quickly.

"Thankfully, the fire department is very close to here," he said.

While firefighters were responding to the fire, emergency crews had traffic stopped at Library Place.

Officials work the scene of a house fire at 217 rear Carlisle Street in Hanover, Monday, March 7, 2016.

The windows of the building were blown out, and the outside of the apartment was damaged. The fire did not spread to other homes.

Clousher said no one was hurt in the fire, and it took firefighters about 10 minutes to knock it down. After the fire was taken care of, firefighters had to continue working on the inside of the home putting out some clothes that were on fire. He said the contents of the home were a total loss, but he was not sure if the structure is.

"The structure should be pretty intact," he said, adding that the studs of the home weren't damaged. He said the front room of the townhouse was gutted, and the back room and second floor sustained extensive smoke damage. He did not have a damage estimate at the time.

Clousher was not aware if the two men living in the home had contacted the Red Cross to assist them.

Carbajal said his parents were worried about the fire but were thankful that it did not spread to the other townhouses.

"It could've cause so much more damage," he said.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com.