York City man allegedly broke woman's back, abandoned child

Christopher Dornblaser
  • The victim was unable to move after she was attacked
  • Police say an infant was left with no one to care for her after the suspect fled

A York City man allegedly broke a woman's back during an assault, then fled, leaving his infant daughter behind with no one able to care for her.

Lonney James Jones-Anderson Jr., 26, is charged with aggravated assault, simple assault and endangering the welfare of children, according to charging documents.

Around 6:40 p.m. on Feb. 15, York City Police say an officer was dispatched to the 100 block of North Newberry Street for a report of a domestic disturbance. The second-floor tenants let the officer in, telling him the fight had come from the first-floor apartment, documents state.

Police say when the officer knocked on the front door of the apartment, he could hear, "I'm in here, I can't move."

According to police, the officer found an infant crying in a stroller in the living room, and a female victim on the bedroom floor lying on her stomach.

The woman told police that Jones-Anderson, who lived at the address with her, had punched her in the face, chest and back, and in doing so, ran her into the living room wall, causing her elbow to break the drywall, according to documents.

She said the altercation eventually led to the bedroom, where Jones-Anderson threw the woman's legs over her head. According to police, the woman was injured in the fall and had difficulty in moving from the floor.

According to documents, she had called police right after the assault, but Jones-Anderson took her phone and left the residence. He also allegedly left his 6-month-old daughter behind without care.

When she was taken to the hospital, it was discovered the woman had suffered a broken back, fractured nose, multiple abrasions and a possible brain contusion, according to police.

The documents do not describe the relationship between Jones-Anderson and the woman.

The child was turned over to foster care at the request of the York County Office of Children, Youth and Families, as no one was available to care for his daughter, documents state.

On Feb. 26, Jones-Anderson was arraigned on his charges, according to online court records, and he remains in York County Prison on $30,000 bail.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com