Lanes for Lives benefits Red Cross of Central Pa.

Katherine Ranzenberger

Lanes for Lives, a charity bowling event supporting the American Red Cross of Central Pennsylvania, is back.

A firefighter sprays the ceiling of a balcony while battling a blaze at a West Poplar Street . residence Monday, Feb. 22, 2016. Bill Kalina photo

The May 1 event is being held at Suburban Bowlerama, 1945 S. Queen St. It is sponsored by Brewery Products and will feature more than 21 beer samplings for those 21 and older, “perks” for bowlers, a kid’s prize table and face painting.

“Our local Red Cross chapter is focusing on the biggest disaster threat,” a press release from Brewery Products reads. “It’s not flood, hurricanes or tornadoes; every eight minutes there is a house fire. Working smoke detectors can increase your chance of escaping by over 50 percent, yet nearly five million homes in the United States do not have working smoke detectors.”

Less than 9 percent of contributions will go to overhead, and the remaining 91 percent of donations will go directly to the community, the press release reads.

Donations last year helped fund the installation of 627 free smoke detectors in 168 homes in the York area in October.

Teams of four-to-six members will have two time slots to bowl: 12:30-2:30 p.m. for family oriented fun and 3-5 p.m. for beer sampling.

A minimum donation of $50 is required to bowl in the event. Each lane will get a large cheese pizza and beverage pitcher. Deadline for registering for the event is April 1.

For more information on Lanes for Lives, call Victoria Stambaugh at 717-757-3515 or email her at

To register for the event, visit