Hellam Township fire displaces 2
A fire originating from a chimney flue displaced two people in Hellam Township late Sunday morning.
The fire, which was called in around 11 a.m., started at a small farm home on the 800 block of Leiphart Lane. Wrightsville Fire Chief Chad Livelsberger said the fire originated from a malfunction in the chimney flue and caused damage to the home's attic.
He estimated the damage at $60,000; around $10,000 of that is the value of contents in the home that were damaged.
Despite the high damage cost, Livelsberger said the damage was mainly to the attic and the walls.
"A lot of it is just drywall damage," he said, adding that everything damaged could be replaced.
Livelsberger said the fire traveled up the flue, damaging the studs and wood on its way up to the top of the home.
He said in older farm homes, there is a lot of space in the walls that allow for fire to travel.
“We just had to open up walls to make sure we had all the hidden fire,” he said.
Livelsberger said the fire took around 20 minutes to have under control. He said there was not a hydrant near the home so the crews needed to haul water with tankers to the home. Livelsberger said the cold weather did not cause any major issues for the firefighters.
The Red Cross is assisting those displaced in the fire.