York County schools adjust calendars after snow days
After Winter Storm Jonas dumped nearly 3 feet of snow in the area, most York County students enjoyed the past several days off — but they won't be getting a free pass from their schools for their long weekends.
Local school districts on Thursday were making adjustments to their calendars for students to come in on days that had previously been marked as days off.
While most districts enjoyed two to three snow days as well as a couple of two-hour delays, most school officials said they won't have to tack extra days on at the end of year, courtesy of the make-up days already factored into their schedules.
Students are required to be in school for a minimum of 180 days, said York Suburban Superintendent Shelly Merkle, so districts, in turn, are required to make up any missed days.
Pennsylvania school code outlines several days — most of which are holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas — throughout the year where schools must be closed. Schools must also build professional development days into their calendars, and Merkle said the York Suburban school board includes "protected" holidays that cannot be used as snow emergency days in their calendar.
After considering these factors, districts will incorporate several days — which at the start of the year were marked as holidays — where students may come in should schools close unexpectedly, she said.
"Historically two days have been sufficient," Merkle said in a notice to parents and students, though many districts have more make-up days in their calendars, just in case.
The following school districts, as of Thursday afternoon, had announced these adjustments to their calendars:
- Central York School District will be open Feb. 15, March 28 and April 18
- Dallastown Area School District will be open Feb. 11 and March 28
- Dover Area School District will be open Feb. 12, March 21 and April 18
- Eastern York School District will be open Feb 12 and March 28
- Hanover Public School District will be open April 2 and 7
- Northern York County School District will be open Feb. 12 and March 24
- Northeastern School District will be open Feb 15, March 28 and May 31
- South Eastern School District will be open Feb. 16 and May 27
- South Western School District will be open Feb. 12 and March 24
- Southern York County School District will be open March 23 and 24
- Spring Grove Area School District will be open Feb. 12 and March 28
- West Shore School District will be open Feb. 12 and 15 and March 24
- West York Area School District will be open Feb. 12 and 15 and March 28
- York City School District will be open March 7, March 24, and June 8
- York Suburban School District will be open March 24 and 28.
— Reach Jessica Schladebeck at firstname.lastname@example.org.