Chief: Basement damaged in Franklin Twp. fire
No one was hurt Tuesday morning when fire sparked in the basement of a Franklin Township home, according to Franklintown Fire Chief Michael Whitzel.
Firefighters were called to a single-family home in the 100 block of Rocky Ridge Road at 11:48 a.m. and found fire in the basement of the home, the chief said.
Three cats were saved from the home, and one person inside at the time got out without incident, he said.
Crews from Franklintown and surrounding areas had the small fire under control in five or 10 minutes, according to Whitzel, who said there was just a small amount of flames but lots of smoke.
He described damage as minor but said the residents will likely be displaced until a restoration company can make repairs. A damage estimate wasn't immediately available.
The first floor of the home sustained smoke damage; the basement sustained smoke and water damage, and some floor joists were burned, Whitzel said.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation, he said.
The chief said as temperatures plummet, people need to be more careful about causing fire hazards.
Whitzel advised people to discard ashes from wood stoves and fireplaces far away from your home and make sure those ashes are cool. He also advised people to keep their chimneys clean. The chief also warned people about accidentally starting fires while trying to unfreeze frozen pipes.
— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at email@example.com.