LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

A fire in a York Haven mobile home displaced five people Monday night.

The fire occurred in the first block of  South Landvale Street. It was called in around 8:56 p.m., according to York County 911.

It was believed to have been an electrical fire, according to York Haven Fire Department Chief Mark Sanders.

Sanders said the fire started in the bedroom and the home is a "complete loss," but there is no reason to believe the fire was suspicious. He said it took firefighters a little longer to put out the fire as there was a lot of debris they had to clear first.  At around 10:30 p.m., firefighters were still at the scene.

He did not have a damage estimate for the home at the time.

Destiny Shaffer, 18, a resident at the home, was watching firefighters work. She had just moved in the home around two months ago. Shaffer said she came home from work, saw the fire and called the fire department. She said she lost everything in the fire but was able to rescue her three dogs.

The home had several blown out windows, and the left side was burnt heavily. There were several fire engines and tankers at the scene, as well as a Met-Ed truck. Emergency responders blocked off a large portion of the road leading to the home.

The Red Cross is assisting those displaced in the fire.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/news/2016/01/18/york-haven-fire-displaces-5/78989318/