16-year-old shooting suspect caught

Sean Philip Cotter

The 16-year-old York City girl accused of shooting an 18-year-old in the head on Saturday was caught by police and U.S. Marshals on Wednesday morning.

Hydiea Banks

Hydiea Banks, of 512 E. Prospect St., faces charges of attempted criminal homicide in the shooting of Shyhiem McDowell, according to police. She is being charged as an adult, police say.

Investigators received several tips leading to a residence in the 400 block of West Philadelphia Street, where they found her at about 8:05 a.m. Wednesday, according to a news release from the U.S. Marshals, who supervises the department's detective bureau. She "actively resisted arrest," and they found the gun used in the shooting within her reach, said York City Police Lt. Troy Bankert.

McDowell was shot in the head around 9:52 a.m. Saturday in the backyard of 325 Girard Ave., suffering life-threatening injuries, according to police. He was taken by ambulance to the hospital, where he remained alive as of Wednesday morning, Bankert said.

He said police are still gathering evidence as to what the motive behind the shooting could have been.

Charging documents filed Saturday and released after her arrest Wednesday don’t elaborate on any motive, either, but they do lay out a timeline of the events that immediately preceded the shooting.

Police say McDowell told people around 9:30 a.m. Saturday that he was leaving a Rockdale Avenue address to walk a female friend “out east.” The two of them walked from that street at about that time, according to police.

Twelve minutes later — 10 minutes before the shooting — surveillance video shows McDowell and a girl wearing glasses and a hoodie standing outside of Pak’s Grocery Store, a corner market at 750 E. Princess St., documents state. There, they meet up with another man, wearing all black; this new man and the girl leave, and then McDowell heads in the same direction, according to documents.

Cameras on Girard Street pick the three of them up a few minutes later, walking on Euclid Avenue, then Girard Avenue, then into a breezeway off of Girard that leads back to the yard behind the 325 address, documents state.

The camera shows the man who joined them at the store dashing away, and then the girl running away shortly after, police say.

A witness nearby told police the man ran from the breezeway shortly before one single, loud gunshot rang out, documents state. A different witness told police they heard the gunshot and then saw a person in a hoodie running from the scene while trying to tuck something into the waistband of the person’s pants.

The police received tips that the person with McDowell at 9:30 a.m. was Hydiea Banks, according to documents; surveillance photos and witnesses said it was the same person who was with him for the next 22 minutes and then ran from the scene after the gunshot, police say.

Police originally said they were searching for the other man, but he has since been identified him and investigators said he's no longer being sought.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call York City Police at (717) 846-1234, or call 911.

— Reach Sean Cotter atscotter@yorkdispatch.com.