Small fire damages house in Hanover
A small fire damaged the back of a house on the 200 block of East Middle Street in Hanover Monday afternoon.
Hanover Borough Deputy Fire Chief Anthony Clousher said the fire was found and reported by a passer-by around 1:45 p.m. and was put out by the department about 20 minutes later.
No one was hurt during the fire as the home was vacant, according to Clousher. The owner, First United Methodist Church, has been notified.
He said the fire started at the back of the home and damage was contained there. Despite the damage, the home is still habitable, according to Clousher. He did not have a damage estimate at the time.
Clousher said the fire was determined to be accidental, most likely from discarded smoking material.
"It's hard to say who would have done it," he said.
— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at firstname.lastname@example.org.