Two dogs rescued from Princess Street blaze
York City firefighters rescued two dogs from a blaze that severely damaged two homes Wednesday morning in York City.
Neighbors of the homes on the 700 block of West Princess Street said they saw someone grab a ladder before firefighters arrived and go to the back of the homes, where the flames were visible.
"I was in my house when I heard a boom (that) I thought was a car accident," neighbor Judy Knaub said. "I went out in front of the house and saw someone grab a worker truck's ladder and run around to the back, and then I heard someone shout, 'Get him!'"
York City Fire Chief David Michaels said no one was saved via a ladder, but the owner of the dogs did have to be alerted to the fire by neighbors before escaping unharmed. He and his dogs were transported to a vet by White Rose Ambulance, and all are unharmed, Michaels said.
There were no reports of injuries from the fire, which displaced eight adults and five children, according to Michaels. The Red Cross is taking care of housing for them.
The fire also did minor damage to a third, adjacent home.
The blaze originated from an accidental electrical malfunction in a freezer located in the back of the homes, Michael said. The total estimated damage is $125,000.
Two cars and a garage were also destroyed in the fire, which Michaels said didn't take long to put out once firefighters arrived on the scene.
Reach David Weissman at firstname.lastname@example.org.