Fire displaces two in York City

Christopher Dornblaser

A fire displaced two York City residents Sunday afternoon.

The blaze broke out on the second floor of 718 E. Philadelphia St. around 4:30 p.m., according to York City Fire Chief David Michaels.

Michaels said the fire started from a space heater on the top floor, sparking from an extension cord.

The fire was contained to the second floor. The damage estimate is around $50,000, according to Michaels. He said the two residents will be displaced, and the Red Cross has been notified and will be assisting with that.

He said one of the residents' two dogs was found safely, and the other is believed to have run off. He said they did not find the other one in the home.

Michaels said the home is salvageable and the neighboring homes were not affected.

While firefighters took care of the aftermath of the fire, the road was blocked off, and neighbors stood outside watching them work.

Steve Markle, who lives across the street from the apartment that was on fire, stood outside watching the firefighters as they cleaned up the scene. He said he watched the fire get extinguished quickly.

"It was within five minutes," he said.

He had a video of the incident on his phone, recorded at 4:35, which showed flames coming out of the second-floor window on the left, with firefighters quickly putting out the fire with a hose from the ground.

Angie Morella, another neighbor from across the street, said she saw the fire as it was happening.

"All the fire was coming out the second floor," she said. She said she saw the people who lived in the home to the left of the fire had to exit their home during the ordeal.

A fire broke out around 4:30 p.m. at 718 E. Philadelphia Street on Sunday afternoon.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at