Fire damages two York City row homes
Two row homes were damaged Thursday evening in a fire in the 300 block of Smyser Street, York City.
The call for the fire came in at 6:48 p.m., York City Fire Chief David Michaels said. The blaze started at 330 Smyser St. and spread through the wall to 332, he said.
"We were able to limit damage," Michaels said.
Later, he said firefighters had determined it was an electrical fire caused by a faulty light socket in the second-floor bathroom.
As smoke poured from 330's third-floor window and firefighters' flashlight beams danced over the fronts of houses, tenant Heather Mann sat among her neighbors on the curb across the street, her eyes watering.
Mann, who lives in the house with her 19-year-old son, said she was aware that her house had electrical problems and had been trying to get them fixed for months.
"I heard a pop in the second-floor bathroom ... then, I heard the smoke detector go off on the third floor," she said.
"I went up to the third floor and fire was coming out of the heating vent in the wall."
Two houses down from Mann's in the row of six, a blackened third-floor window showed the effects of what Mann said was an electrical fire this past summer.
Two adults and five children live in the other house affected by the fire and all would need to find somewhere to stay the night, she said.
— Reach Julia Scheib at email@example.com.