Police release names of injured in double-fatal Spring Garden police chase



State police have released the names of the two occupants injured when the 2003 Buick LeSabre they were in crashed into a garage while fleeing Spring Garden Township Police on Sunday afternoon. Two others were killed, police said, and none of the four was wearing a seat belt.

Shazmir Martino, 19, and Brandon Smallwood, 17, no addresses provided, suffered injuries in the 4:30 p.m. crash and were taken to York Hospital, according to state police.

Their hospital conditions could not be obtained Monday morning.

State police said the chase started at the corner of Hollywood Avenue and Lancaster Street, with the LeSabre fleeing northbound on Hollywood, then onto Hill Street, then turning left at Harrison Street.

That's where it struck a curb, flipped over and crashed into a garage at 1350 Second Avenue, police said.

State police said township officers were trying to stop the car because it was believed to be connected to an aggravated assault incident that is under investigation.

— Update from senior crime reporter Liz Evans Scolforo.


Two people were killed and two others hospitalized when the car they were in — which was fleeing from police — crashed on Sunday afternoon in Spring Garden Township, police said.

It happened a little before 4:30 p.m. as Spring Garden Township Police tried to pull over the vehicle in connection with a previously reported assault, according to a departmental news release.

The car fled northbound from the 1800 block of Hollywood Drive and crashed into a garage in the 1300 block of Second Avenue, police said.

One occupant — Elijah Moultrey, 19, of the 400 block of East King Street in York City — died at the scene, according to the York County Coroner's Office.

Three others were injured and taken to York Hospital, where one of them — Brandon Moultrey, 22, of the 300 block of West Philadelphia Street in York City — died about 8:30 p.m., according to the coroner's office, which said the men were cousins.

Autopsies are scheduled for Tuesday at Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown.

The roof and walls of the garage collapsed on the fleeing green sedan when it crashed, police said, and the car's roof and doors had to be removed by fire/rescue personnel to free those inside.

Marc Ungar of York said he saw the fleeing car coming from Harrison Street, with several officers following it.

He said he did not see the car hit the garage, but he did see all the dust after the crash.

Jeremy Atchison of Red Lion, who previously worked with the Windsor fire service, said he saw three police vehicles chasing the car. When he heard the crash he jumped out of his car.

He said he saw the driver lying on the ground following the crash.

"I didn't know whether or not to help them," he said.

State police are investigating.