Police: Handcuffed man who fled from officers quickly recaptured


A handcuffed man who broke free from officers and fled the parking lot of the York Township district judge office Wednesday made it about 200 yards and enjoyed less than five minutes of freedom before being recaptured, police said.

Now 23-year-old Kiehl Reever is in York County Prison on a total of $75,000 bail, while the officer who apprehended him is nursing a head wound.

Reever, of the York area, was detained Wednesday morning by York Area Regional police officers because he had an outstanding warrant in a domestic assault case, according to Sgt. Peter Montgomery, York Area Regional's spokesman.

Officers took him to the York Township office of District Judge Scott Laird, where he was arraigned on charges of simple assault, making terroristic threats and harassment. Bail was set at $25,000 and he was ordered to have no contact with his alleged victim, according to Laird's office.

Reever — whose hands were cuffed behind his back — initially was cooperating with officers as he was being led out of Laird's 2756 S. Queen St. office, according to Montgomery, then suddenly bolted.

Ran through business: He ran through neighboring Garrety Glass Inc. at 2785 S. Queen St. and hid between some stacked metal door frames, which is where officers found him, Montgomery said.

Garrety Glass employees didn't even have time to call 911 because officers were hot on his trail, the sergeant said.

While Reever was being arrested a metal door frame fell over, hitting an officer in the head, according to Montgomery.

The officer needed a few medical staples to close the wound, but is OK, Montgomery said.

Police escorted Reever back to Laird's office, where the district judge arraigned him on new charges of escape, simple assault, reckless endangerment and criminal mischief, according to court records. Laird set bail in that case at $50,000.

Reever was then taken to the county's central booking unit for processing, after which he was transported to county prison, officials said.

It is unclear whether he has retained an attorney.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at