Fatal York City fire ruled accidental


A fire in York City that claimed the lives of a senior couple on Sunday was caused by an electrical fault and has been ruled accidental, authorities said.

The early afternoon blaze started in the front room of the home in the 700 block of Tioga Street, where numerous electronics were plugged into a power strip, said David Michaels, the city fire chief.

It's unknown whether the fire started at the power strip or the receptacle into which it was plugged, he said.

Firefighters found Anthony and Connie Zorbaugh, 66 and 63 respectively, in the kitchen of their home after responding to a structure fire just after noon, according to the York County Coroner's Office.

Michaels said firefighters entered the house in search of the couple and, after finding them, brought them outside and attempted to resuscitate them. But their efforts were unsuccessful.

The Zorbaughs died of smoke inhalation and burns, the coroner's office announced on Monday.

Michaels said Anthony Zorbaugh had "significant health issues" and had trouble moving around. It appeared that Connie Zorbuagh had been trying to help him get out, the chief said.

The house is not a total loss, but damage is estimated at $45,000, the chief said.

— Reach Greg Gross at ggross@yorkdispatch.com.