Former Kinsley employee charged in crash that killed 2 co-workers


Police have filed vehicular homicide charges against a man who was driving a Kinsley Construction work van when it crashed on Route 30 in Hellam Township last summer, killing two Kinsley employees.

Luis Antonio Behrensen, 30, of 730 Burkholder Road in Windsor Township, will be charged with two counts each of homicide by vehicle and reckless endangerment, plus single counts of aggravated assault by vehicle and speeding, and four counts of careless driving. The vehicular-homicide and assault charges are third-degree felonies.

Court records indicate he has not yet been arraigned on the charges. Behrensen could not be reached for comment; it's unclear whether he has retained an attorney.

Hellam Township Police said he caused the crash on Route 30 westbound near the Hallam exit about 2:15 p.m. July 22, 2014.

Killed were Jack Mason III, 52, and Jerry Eady, 36, both of West Manchester Township. They were thrown from the white Ford work van during the crash and were pronounced dead at the scene.

Behrensen and a third passenger, co-worker Manuel Orellana of Hanover, were injured, while the driver of a pickup truck clipped by the Kinsley van just before the crash escaped injury, police said. Orellana suffered a broken leg, concussion and shoulder injury, according to charging documents.

A crash reconstruction performed by state police determined Behrensen — who had been a Kinsley employee for three years — was driving 83 mph in a 55 mph zone in the left lane when the van veered into the right lane and clipped a pickup truck, documents state.

"No evidence existed that Mr. Behrensen perceived or reacted by attempting an evasive action (braking, swerving, etc.) before striking" the pickup truck, documents state.

The force of the impact caused the Kinsley van to slide off the highway and roll several times, ending up in a tree line north of the highway, according to documents.

Mason and Eady suffered multiple injuries, police said.

After the crash, neither Behrensen nor Orellana could remember what happened to cause it, charging documents state.

The Kinsley work crew was returning to York from a Lancaster County work site in Gap, according to documents.

Kinsley Construction spokeswoman Barbara Sardella did not return a phone message seeking comment.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at