Glen Rock-area man pleads guilty in fiery crash that killed brother


A Shrewsbury Township man with multiple DUI convictions has pleaded guilty to causing a December 2013 crash that killed his older brother.

Jamey Ray Hartless pleaded guilty Tuesday in York County Court to homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence, homicide by vehicle, DUI and three counts of reckless endangerment.

Other charges against him were dropped, including third-degree murder, careless driving and speeding.

There was no negotiated sentencing agreement, according to court records, meaning it will be up to presiding Common Pleas Judge Richard K. Renn to determine an appropriate prison sentence.

Hartless, 49, of Glen Brook Court, remains free on bail awaiting sentencing, set for Aug. 24, records state.

He was intoxicated when the 1988 Chevrolet Camaro he was driving slammed into a tree in York Township and caught on fire while he was fleeing the scene of a previous crash in the township, police said. The crash happened about 6:15 p.m. Dec. 2, 2013, in the 200 block of Reynolds Mill Road.

Sole passenger Timothy A. Hartless, 51, was rushed to York Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to the York County Coroner's Office.

Jamey Hartless also was injured in the crash and needed hospital treatment, police said.

Smelled of alcohol: At the scene he smelled of alcohol and told officers he didn't know who had been driving, according to charging documents.

But witnesses told officers it was Jamey Hartless who was driving, documents state.

One witness reported seeing the black Camaro heading south on South George Street in the area of Apple Hill, weaving repeatedly across the center line, police said.

The Camaro then struck the open driver-side door of a Pontiac Sunfire that had broken down and was stopped along the road, according to police.

Close call: The driver was sitting in the Sunfire's driver seat with his legs hanging out the door when the Camaro sideswiped the car, according to police. The force of the crash knocked the driver door off the car, but somehow the driver escaped injury, police said.

After hitting the Sunfire, Jamey Hartless fled south on South George Street and turned onto Reynolds Mill Road, going perhaps 90 mph or more, according to police.

Minutes after the crash with the Sunfire, police were called to Reynolds Mill Road, where they found the Camaro had struck a tree and a stop sign at Kresta Drive and caught fire, police said. Witnesses rushed to the car with fire extinguishers to put out the flames.

Charging documents state Jamey Hartless had a blood-alcohol level of 0.079 percent. In Pennsylvania, an adult is driving drunk at 0.08 percent.

Drugs in system: But he also had cocaine and lorazepam, known as Ativan, in his system, court documents state.

Those documents also state he has multiple previous DUI convictions.

His public defender, Mike Rutt, could not be reached for comment.