York County Tourism grants awarded
Eighteen projects were recently awarded more than $800,000 through the first-ever York County Tourism grants.
More than 60 applications applied for the funds, but the recipients were chosen by the York County Tourism Grant Committee based on their ability to boost tourism in York County.
- Military Vehicle Preservation Association, $32,000 to bring the international convention to York.
- Mason-Dixon Business Association, $2,500 for Discover Delta and the marketing of recreation, history, shops and restaurants.
- Red Lion High School Student Council, $10,000 to assist with the hosting of the 2017 PA Association of Student Councils State Conference in York.
- York County Rail Trail Authority, $100,000 to complete the Northern Extension of the Heritage Rail Trail (multi-year grant).
- YWCA York, $7,861 for its synchronized swimming meet.
- York Expo Center/York Fair, $66,000 for the York Agricultural Society Action Plan for the Future (multi-year grant).
- York Expo Center/York Fair, $55,350 to host the AAU Middle Atlantic Wrestling Association's Eastern National Wrestling in 2019 and 2020 (multi-year grant).
- York Expo Center/York Fair, $30,000 for wi-fi upgrades at the center.
- We Build You Play Sports Group, $45,000 for the York invitational volleyball competition.
- Spring Grove Borough: $13,000 to create the smoke in the Grove BBQ competition.
- Bailey Leasing Inc., $5,250 for a York County promotional motorcoach.
- Steam Into History, $40,000 for an additional coach to expand operations.
- YMCA of York and York County, $40,000 for improvements to the Graham Aquatic Center for competitive swim events.
- York City, $225,000 for Memorial Park softball field improvements (multi-year grant).
- Main Street Hanover, $50,000 for Downtown Tourism Development Program.
- Hanover Area Historical Society, $5,000 to market the Carriage House Museum.
- Susquehanna Heritage, $50,000 for Susquehanna Riverlands, Zimmerman Center hour expansion and destination marketing.
- York County History Center, $50,000 for tourism asset development for its new center.
The committee has also reserved $100,000 for a York County branding initiative between the York County Community Foundation and Downtown Inc.
The grant program will open July 10 for a second round of smaller awards with a maximum request of $10,000.
For more information, call 888-858-9675 or visit www.yorkpa.org.