First Friday York for August
First Friday York is a monthly event throughout the downtown area, with shop and restaurants running specials and groups performing and offering special events 5-9 p.m.
Here are some highlights for August:
- Celebrate First Friday on Continental Square with vendors, children's activities and live entertainment on the stage, including Mother Dimension from 5 to 6 p.m.; gospel singing with the Temple of Grace Praise and Worship Team, and Mime Dance with God’s Anointed from 6:15 p.m. to 7:45 p.m; and line dancing from 8 to 9 p.m.
- Relax, rejuvenate and recharge 6-10:30 p.m. with the smooth sounds of R&B at the First Friday Open Air Ebony Lounge at Cherry Lane Park. Host: African Rooted.
- WellSpan Lab Services, 46 W. Market St., will host an open house at its new downtown lab. Smoothie samples, blood pressure screenings and tours of the lab will be available.
- Creative York, 10 N. Beaver St., is taking this month’s free art activity onto the street! In preparation for the upcoming ChalkWalk event during YorkFest this month, Creative York will have several teaching artists drawing with chalk on the sidewalks in front of the gallery. Feel free to pick up a piece of chalk and add to the crazy collaborative chalk doodle.
- York Road Runners will be at White Rose Bar and Grill, 48 N. Beaver St., to offer information and register runners for the 5-mile York White Rose Run on Sept. 15.
- Trinity UCC, 32 W. Market St., presents Storytime with Princess Rachel at 6 p.m. Enjoy an evening of fairy tales, songs and smiles.
- HIVE artspace, 57 E. King St. will present a group exhibit featuring works by more than 30 artists on the subject of circus acts, sideshow freaks, carnivals, vaudeville acts and other forms of "traveling entertainment." Free giveaway pin featuring artwork from the exhibit for the first 25 visitors.
- Enjoy the film "Up" at 6:30 p.m. at the Strand Theatre in the Appell Center for the Performing Arts, 50 N. George St. Free admission.
- Art exhibits include local artists at Small Star Art House, 232 W. Market St. and the work of Tracy Davis at Gallery @227, 227 W. Market St.