Join the Conversation
To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the Conversation Guidelines and FAQs
First Friday York for June: Giant games, paper sculptures and live entertainment
First Friday York is a monthly event throughout the downtown area, with shop and restaurants running specials and groups performing and offering special events 5-9 p.m.
Here are some highlights for June:
- At Continental Square, play giant games of checkers, tic tac toe and more; join Ms. Cecelia Line Dancing; try to keep up with double dutch jump roping.
- William C. Goodridge Center & Underground Railroad Museum, 123 E. Philadelphia St., revisits the 1993 arrival of the Golden Venture with a talk by attorney Jeffrey C. Lobach about working to secure freedom for Chinese refugees and a display of paper sculptures created by the refugees while in York County Prison.
- York Academy, West North Street and Beaver Street, hosts a block party with live music, games and food.
- First Friday Latino has a salsa lesson at 7 p.m. and the York Water Co. splash pad in the Royal Square District.
- Art exhibit openings include York's first digital art gallery at Small Star Art House, 232 W. Market St.; the work of Steph Holmes at Gallery @227, 227 W. Market St.; Great Big Bug Show at HIVE artspace, 57 E. King St.; and Beautiful Death at Creative York West, 118 W. Phialdelphia St.