The York County Department of Parks and Recreation will host Butterfly Weekend, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 9, and noon-4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 10, at Nixon County Park.
The event will feature interactive exhibits and programs. The schedule is:
- Butterfly storywalk: Walk at your own pace on this half-mile trail. Held all weekend.
- Butterfly survey: Join a guide to count and identify species, 9-11 a.m. Saturday. Carpool to various locations. All data submitted to the North American Butterfly Association.
- Crazy critters: Search for insects in the sensory garden or by the stream, 9:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Saturday.
- Lunch with a caterpillar expert: Bring your own lunch and photos for this discussion of caterpillers and butterflies with Master Gardener Deb Carman, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday.
- How you can help: Carman will explain how gardens can provide for butterflies and caterpillars all year long, 9-3 p.m. Saturday.
- Monarchs butterflies: Citizen-scientist and photographer Kim Frey will give a PowerPoint presentation, 2:30-4 p.m. Sunday.
For more information, call the Nature Center at (717) 428-1961.