ERIE, Pa.—A man was severely burned when used solvent caught fire in a small building that's part of a hazardous waste processing firm in northwestern Pennsylvania.

The fire was reported at 9:40 a.m. Thursday at Safety-Kleen Corp. in Erie. The company did not immediately comment on the fire or its possible cause.

But West Lake Fire Chief Rick Schau tells the Erie Times-News ( http://bit.ly/1eA6ZE0) that one man was severely burned and taken to a hospital.

The fire was contained to a small building where hazardous materials are off-loaded before they can be stored in nearby tanks, which emergency crews say were not compromised by the fire.

The company's web site says it processes used motor oil and other materials.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says the company has run the facility on nearly four acres since 1968.

———

Information from: Erie Times-News, http://www.goerie.com


Advertisement