Axel Barreto, 32, was convicted last week in the January 2012 deaths of 14-year-old Joshua Soto, 14-year-old Dante Lugo and 16-year-old Javier Orlandi outside his Northeast Philadelphia home.
Prosecutors said he opened fire on a car crowded with teens following months of hostility between them and another group that included Barreto's stepsons. Jurors were to begin deliberations Wednesday following legal instructions from the judge, The Philadelphia Inquirer (http://bit.ly/1ap6ZHF) reported.
Barreto apologized to the families of the victims Tuesday, saying "I never meant for this to happen."
"Life is precious," he said, looking at the families in the gallery. "Hug your kids. Love your kids. There may come a time when you may never see them again."
His 10-year-old stepdaughter took the stand to plead with jurors to spare his life.
"Please don't make him die," she said tearfully. "He's always been there for everybody."
Relatives of the victims also wept as they described their loss.
"Life for my family is unbearable now," said Soto's mother, Linda. "There is a void that can never be filled."
Assistant District Attorney Jude Conroy criticized the defense argument that the teens had been cruising around Barreto's house, trying to lure his stepson outside to fight.
"Translation? 'They asked for it,'" Conroy said. "That's the most outrageous comment of all."
Defense attorney Jack McMahon cited Barreto's lack of a significant criminal record in calling the shooting "clearly an aberration."
"This man is not the personification of evil that needs to be removed from the planet," McMahon said.
Information from: The Philadelphia Inquirer, http://www.philly.com