A family of seven was displaced after fire badly damaged their home in the Skyview Mobile Home Park in Newberry Township on Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013.
A family of seven was displaced after fire badly damaged their home in the Skyview Mobile Home Park in Newberry Township on Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013. (Bil Bowden)

A family of seven is homeless after fire damaged their Newberry Township home Thursday morning.

The blaze started about 6:40 a.m. in a trailer at the Skyview Mobile Home Park, 300 Ridge Road, according to Fairview Township Fire Chief Bill Carlisle.

No one was hurt, he said, but two adults and their five children are displaced.

"It was an older trailer, so although we contained the fire to the bedroom where it started, there was smoke and heat damage to most of the rest of the trailer," Carlisle said.

It will be up to the family's insurance company to determine a damage estimate, and whether the trailer is a total loss, he said.

Electrical fire: The blaze was sparked by an overheated fan, which was on a nightstand in the parents' bedroom, according to Carlisle.

The entire family was sleeping when they awoke to the smell of smoke and fled their home, the chief said.

There were no working smoke detectors in the home, according to Carlisle, who urged people to install smoke detectors and keep fresh batteries in them.

Firefighters had the blaze under control in less than 10 minutes, but were on scene doing overhaul and cleanup until about 7:45 a.m., he said.

Firefighters from York Haven and the New Cumberland Army Depot assisted at the scene, Carlisle said.

The York-Adams Chapter of the American Red Cross is providing the family with lodging, food, clothing and comfort items, such as toiletries, according to Red Cross spokeswoman Kathy Smyser.

-- Staff writer Liz Evans Scolforo can also be reached at levans@yorkdispatch.com.