Penn Township firefighters and police saved a woman and her two young children from the roof of their burning home on Wednesday morning, township Fire Chief Jan Cromer said.
The blaze displaced a family of six.
Township fire crews were called to a home in the first block of Dove Circle at 6:34 a.m., where they found Victoria Stump, 22, on the roof of her home, along with her 2-year-old child and her 2-month-old child, according to Cromer.
Crew also saw fire and heavy smoke in the home's second floor, he said.
Firefighters and police officers were able to get Stump and the children off the roof safely, and crews had the blaze under control in 10 minutes, Cromer said.
According to the fire chief, Stump was taking a shower when she smelled smoke and woke up her boyfriend, Richard A. Bradburn, 24.
Forced onto roof: Stump went to their children's bedroom, but couldn't get back through the hallway because of heavy smoke, so she took the kids out onto the roof of a front bedroom, Cromer said.
Bradburn tried to put out the blaze himself, but heat and smoke forced him to flee to the first floor, according to the chief.
The home is owned by Richard P. and Kathy Bradburn, who also live there, Cromer said. They are insured.
The home sustained heavy smoke and heat damage to the second floor and minor water damage to the first floor, according to Cromer, who estimated damage at $75,000.
The blaze was caused by an overheated cord on an electric heater, he said.
Firefighters remained on scene until about 11 a.
The York-Adams Chapter of the American Red Cross provide the family with comfort kits containing toiletries and other items, and also put them in contact with the York County SPCA, according to Red Cross spokeswoman Kathy Smyser.
The SPCA will house people's pets for 30 days until their owners find a place to relocate after fires and other disasters. It's part of the SafePet program, a partnership between the Red Cross and the York County SPCA.
-- Staff writer Liz Evans Scolforo can also be reached at email@example.com.