The state's Department of Agriculture conducts yearly inspections of food-serving establishments to ensure public safety and safe food-handling practices. Schools are inspected twice per year, according to the Bureau of Food Safety and Laboratories.
Whether an establishment is considered compliant or non-compliant is the discretion of the inspector. There are, however, several violations for which inspectors should automatically consider establishments non-compliant. Called "critical violations," they include food temperature issues, issues with chemicals and how they're handled, and employee hygiene.
Depending on the severity of the situation, inspectors and their supervisors could file citations or close an establishment.
Below is a list of establishments listed as compliant and out-of-compliance for inspections conducted Aug. 14 through Sept. 3.
OUT OF COMPLIANCE
Exxon, 2180 Old Trail Road, Fairview Township.
Issued seven violations, including:
• food dispensing utensil in cookies stored in the food and not with the handle above the top of the food,
•sandwiches, subs, and hot pockets held at 49-54 degrees rather than 41 degrees or below as required, and eggs held at 53 degrees rather than 45 degrees or below as required,
•no available sanitizer test strips or test kit to determine appropriate sanitizer concentration, and
•utensil used for the hot dog roller not being wash, rinsed, and sanitized every four hours.
Comment: Owner Ahmed Khan said there was a mechanical problem preventing the cooler from keeping foods at the proper temperature, but he had the unit repaired
He said he has only owned the store for two months and is still trying to learn from which companies to order supplies, such as sanitizer. Employees have started washing the hot dog roller utensil every four hours, he said.
Franks Pizza, 10887 Oak Ridge Ave., Red Lion.
Issued 13 violations, including:
• raw calamari stored directly on top of ready-to-eat deli meats,
• possible cross contamination by baked chicken wings being stored inside the same box they came out of when they were raw,
• precooked chicken wings not properly labeled as cooked and not date marked with the date prepared, use-by or sell-by date as required,
• using chlorine bleach as a sanitizer while conducting manual ware washing and does not have available chlorine sanitizer test strips or test kit to determine appropriate sanitizer concentration,
• missing or broken floor tiles in the kitchen and missing ceiling tiles inside the pizza dough preparation room, and
•fluorescent lights inside the kitchen, bulk ice machine room and in the pizza dough preparation room not properly shielded from breakage or shatter resistant as required.
Comment: Owner Francesco DeCodo said all violations were corrected and the restaurant was re-inspected with no violations on Wednesday.
Hoss's Steak & Sea House, 3610 E. Market St., York.
Issued 13 violations, including:
• spray bottles of chemicals not labeled with contents,
• employee wearing single-use gloves various times without a prior hand wash,
• liquid raw eggs stored over ready-to-eat foods,
• cheese and beans held at 122 degrees rather than 135 degrees or above as required,
• food contact surface areas with food residue and not clean to sight and touch,
• drain pipe by the steam table draining directly onto the floor instead of the drain, and
• missing signs at hand wash sinks to remind food employees to wash their hands.
Comment: Manager Sabrina Zumbrum issued the following statement:
"We take this situation very seriously and immediately have taken corrective action. We as a company have high standards in regard to sanitation and cleanliness and are taking extra steps to prevent this from ever happening again. It is completely safe to dine in our restaurant."
Hungry Parrot Pizza Co., 1015 Baltimore St., Hanover.
Issued 13 violations, including:
•a container of glass cleaner and other cleaners stored above or on the same shelf with food, equipment, and/or single-service articles,
• bulk sugar bag and bulk salt bag stored on the floor in the dough room,
• no chlorine sanitizer test strips to monitor the sanitizer in the low-temp wash machine,
• loose/broken rubber door gaskets on a cooling unit,
• ware-washing equipment with food residue buildup,
• unclean soda nozzles,
• black mold-like substance on lid of bulk ice machine,
• unclean can opener,
• pink slime and residue around the handles and faucet of the hand wash sink.
• open rodent bait pellets behind the hot water heater, which is located in the dough room, and
•dried mouse-like droppings in corner next to hot water heater in the dough room.
Comment: A manager or owner did not return a call for comment.[cka: 637-2525; Left message.: ]
Interstate 83 Diner & Coffee Shop, 5220 Susquehanna Trail, York.
Issued 15 violations, including:
• personal medicines stored in food facility,
• an open employee's beverage container sitting in a food preparation area,
• raw animal foods stored above ready-to-eat foods in coolers,
• food stored directly on the floor in both walk-ins, rather than 6 inches off of the floor as required,
• chicken, milk and dressings stored at the improper temperatures
• thermometers not readily accessible,
• unclean can opener, refrigerator door handles, and slicer,
• women's toilet room not provided with a covered waste receptacle for sanitary napkins,
• lights not shielded or shatterproof over the cooks line area,
• no sign posted to remind food employees to wash their hands, and
• no paper towels or soap at a hand sink.
Comment: A manager did not return a call for comment.[cka: Nancy said Billy the manager would return the call. 266-3639: ]
Alpine Inn, 691 Yorktown Road, Lewisberry.
Amelia's Grocery Outlet, 1150 Carlisle St., Hanover.
Amici's Pizza Restaurant, 913 Broad St., Delta.
Backwoods Sports Bar & Grill Mobile Unit No. 1, 1875 Old Trail Road, Newberry Township.
Backwoods Sports Bar & Grill Mobile Unit No. 2, 1875 Old Trail Road, Newberry Township.
Barry's Country Market, 478 Abels Road, Craley.
Ben and Scooters, 1767 Baltimore Pike, Hanover.
Bethlehem United Methodist Church @ the Dallastown Carnival, School Street, Dallastown.
Big Chippers BBQ, 420 W. Broadway St., Red Lion.
Bricker's French Fries, Lewisberry Road, Dover.
Brickyard Tavern Inc., 748 S. Albemarle St., York.
Broken Oar, 6369 S. River Drive, York.
Cancer Crushers @ the Dallastown Carnival, School Street, Dallastown.
Captain Bobs Crabs, 90 Martin St., Red Lion.
Chick-Fil-A, 14665 Mount Airy Road, Shrewsbury.
Chick-Fil-A Hanover, 340 Eisenhower Drive, Hanover.
China One, 805 Baltimore St., Hanover.
China III, 340 N. Main St., York New Salem.
China Wok Restaurant, 35 N. Main St., York.
Christ Lutheran Church @ the Dallastown Carnival, School Street, Dallastown.
Conewago Inn, 3480 York Haven Road, Manchester.
Connie's, 36 Deardorff Road, Dillsburg.
Delta Discount Grocery and More, 102 College Ave., Delta.
Gold's Gym Shrewsbury, 985 Far Hills Drive, Suite 100, New Freedom.
Jerry's Great Valu, One Dairyland Square, Red Lion.
North Hopewell-Winterstown Fire Co., 12246 Winterstown Road, Winterstown.
Wal-Mart Super Center, 698 Shrewsbury Commons Ave., Shrewsbury.