Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
1. HOUSE MAJORITY LEADER CANTOR LOSES PRIMARY
Tea party challenger Dave Brat wins a stunning upset victory against Rep. Eric Cantor in the 7th District Republican primary contest in Virginia.
2. 5 TROOPS KILLED IN AFGHANISTAN WERE WITH SPECIAL OPERATIONS UNIT
The American GIs were killed by a U.S. airstrike called in to help them after a Taliban ambush.
3. CONGRESS MOVES TO ADDRESS VA HOSPITAL WAITS
The House unanimously approves legislation to make it easier for patients enduring lengthy delays for initial visits to get VA-paid treatment from local doctors instead.
4. WHO CONCEDES LACK OF PROGRESS ON GUN VIOLENCE
A somber president Obama, speaking hours after a school shooting in Oregon, said he was ashamed as an American and terrified as a parent that the nation can't put a stop to such attacks.
5. MILITANTS OVERRUN IRAQ'S 2ND-LARGEST CITY
The insurgents seize government buildings in Mosul, push out security forces and capture military vehicles as thousands of residents flee.
6. JUDGE STRIKES DOWN CALIF. TEACHER TENURE LAWS
The ruling says tenure and similar protections can make bad teachers almost impossible to fire.
7. HOW AIR FORCE IS RESPONDING TO NUCLEAR MISSTEPS
The service plans to offer bonus pay to missile force members, fill gaps in the ranks, and modernize the corps after recent training failures, security troubles, leadership lapses, morale problems and stunning breakdowns.
8. WHERE MINING INDUSTRY IS SEEING A RESURGENCE
In the past few years, at least six open-pit or underground mines have been proposed or started in Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin, the first such ventures in decades.
9. MORE PEOPLE HIRE PRO PHOTOGRAPHERS TO DOCUMENT EVERYDAY LIFE
Weekend outings, vacations, or portraits of beloved pets are getting captured more often by pros behind the cameras.
10. BRAZIL FACES CROATIA IN INAUGURAL WORLD CUP MATCH
After so much talk about delays, protests and problems, fans will at last get a chance to cheer for the national team on home soil in Sao Paulo in football's showcase tournament.