A two-alarm fire at a York City home that displaced a family of five and left a 16-year-old girl with minor smoke inhalation on Saturday, caused $40,000 in damage, a fire official said.
City firefighters were sent to the home in the 800 block of West Poplar Street about 1:45 p.m. and arrived to find heavy smoke and flames, said Capt. Mark Bowman.
"When we got there it was completely involved," he said, adding the kitchen, dinning room and part of the living room were up in flames.
A second alarm was quickly struck, bringing in additional manpower from surrounding departments.
Crews were able to knock down the blaze, containing it to the first floor of the row house. The fire did not spread to adjacent homes, Bowman said.
Cause: The fire started when the 16-year-old girl left food cooking unattended on a stove for a short period of time, the captain said.
She was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation but wasn't taken to a hospital, he said.
The Red Cross is assisting the family of five - four children and an adult, a news release from the organization says.
Damage is estimated at approximately $40,000, Bowman said.
Responding fire crews ran into an obstacle getting water onto the fire. They found a car parked in front of the hydrant closest to the fire, he said.
Crews didn't break the car's windows to run a hose through it, but instead routed the hose around the front of it. The car was ticketed by York City Police, Bowman said.
"There's no reason for it," the captain said. "Hopefully he learned his lesson."
- Reach Greg Gross at firstname.lastname@example.org.