A man suffered from smoke inhalation when he tried to put out a fire in his Hellam Township mobile home on Tuesday.

His home on the 400 block of Clover Drive, located in the Brookhaven mobile home park, was essentially destroyed by the blaze, said Matt Russ, assistant fire chief for Wrightsville.

First responders from York and Lancaster counties were sent to the scene at about 2:35 p.m. and arrived to find smoke and flames pouring from most of the home, he said.

"About half of it was involved in flames," Russ said, adding that some of the contents of the home may be salvageable.

The blaze has been ignited by a wall-mounted electric space heater. It has been ruled accidental, the assistant chief said.

The man who lived in the home was taken to York Hospital for treatment. He was displaced by the blaze.

Russ said the man used a wet towel in an attempt to put out the fire, a course of action that is ill-advised because it was an electrical fire.

"If the fire is too big, try to leave it up to us," Russ said.

No other injuries were reported.