The same man suspected of trying to torch a Springettsbury Township motel on Wednesday morning also is suspected of trying to start a fire at the same motel Tuesday night, a fire official said.
Alex Rasovsky, 51, of 1460 Bonbar Road in Spring Garden Township was arrested at the Budget Host Inn by Springettsbury Township Police.
Rasovsky was taken to the county's central booking unit and arraignment on arson and related charges. Bail was set at $100,000, according to court documents.
According to his charging documents, Rasovsky admitted to township police Sgt. Tony Beam that he started the fires.
Rasovsky added that he "was fascinated at the response and operation of the fire personnel," telling Beam "you guys had trucks everywhere," the documents state.
Minimal damage: York Area United Fire Chief Robert McCoy Jr. said he's been told Rasovsky tried to set fires in the rafters of the Budget Host Inn's roof area on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.
Firefighters were called to the Budget Host Inn, 1162 Haines Road, about 8:45 a.m. Wednesday, according to the York County 911 Center.
When crews responded to the motel just before 10 p.m. Tuesday, they found no fire, officials said.
The motel sustained very minimal damage, McCoy said.
"Some insulation may have to be replaced," he said. "Basically they were attempts to start a fire, but with no true damage."
After the hotel's fire alarm sounded Tuesday night, its manager, John Adams, was approached by a man, later found out to be Rasovsky, who told him "There is a fire in the attic," documents state.
Adams entered the attic and found a small amount of cardboard, an American flag and other debris on fire, documents state.
Lighter fluid was used to start that fire and the one Wednesday morning, McCoy said.
Third attempt? Rasovsky also might have tried unsuccessfully to start a fire across the street at Arooga's, according to McCoy, in the restaurant's ceiling space.
When firefighters returned to the motel Wednesday morning, they were informed the motel manager had Rasovsky in his office, and fire officials immediately contacted police, McCoy said.
Budget Host Inn is back to business as usual, manager John Adams said.
"It was over in a matter of minutes," he said.
At the time of both incidents, 38 rooms were rented by guests, documents state.
Alarm sounded: Derrek Boyd, 26, of Red Lion, stayed at the motel overnight Tuesday with his girlfriend, 22-year-old Tiffany Vanhart of Felton.
"We were checking in and the fire alarm was going off," he said. "They told us it was a faulty alarm."
Boyd said he and other guests were very concerned.
"(The clerk) said there was nothing wrong, but we could smell plastic burning," he said.
Eventually, the clerk smelled it as well and 911 was called, Boyd said.
"A cop comes and starts banging on everyone's doors," he said. "I asked did he need help and he said, 'Yeah.'"
Boyd said he helped the officer alert other guests.
The motel was briefly evacuated but guests were allowed back in their rooms after firefighters gave the all-clear, Boyd said.
"Then at 8:30 (Wednesday) morning, the alarm went off again," he said.
This time, he stayed in bed "because the alarms had been going off all night long," Boyd said.
Staff writer Greg Gross contributed to this reported
-- Staff writer Liz Evans Scolforo can also be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.