Firefighters saved two pet turtles from a burning home in the 1100 block of Witmer Road in Windsor Twp. on Tuesday, April 9, 2013.
Firefighters saved two pet turtles from a burning home in the 1100 block of Witmer Road in Windsor Twp. on Tuesday, April 9, 2013. (Photo courtesy of Yorkana Deputy Fire Chief Mark Enders)

An electrical fire Tuesday displaced a couple and their baby from their Windsor Township home, a fire official said.

Firefighters from Yorkana Community Volunteer Fire Co. responded to the home in the 1100 block of Witmer Road just before 1 p.m., according to Yorkana Deputy Fire Chief Mark Enders.

He said when he arrived, he saw two vehicles in the driveway and broadcast a warning that there was possible entrapment as a precaution, but it turned out no one was home, Enders said. A neighbor called 911 about the blaze.

Firefighters rescued two pet turtles from inside the burning home, he said, adding the family dog was in a garage and was not affected.

No one was hurt.

The blaze was electrical in nature and started in the electrical panel box in the basement, according to Enders. Flames then spread into the first floor.

Significant damage: Enders said the fire caused about $90,000 in damage to the home and displaced the two adults and baby who live there. He said York Area Regional Police Detective Donald Hopple Jr. determined the cause of the blaze.

Most of the damage is in the basement, and the floor of the home's first floor will have to be replaced before the family can move back in, he said.

Firefighters had the blaze under control in about 15 minutes, but remained on scene for hours clearing deadly carbon dioxide gas from the basement, according to Enders.

He said the York-Adams chapter of the American Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the displaced family. A Red Cross spokeswoman could not immediately be reached for comment.

Assisting Yorkana firefighters at the scene were crews from Dallastown, Yoe, Windsor and East Prospect.

-- Staff writer Liz Evans Scolforo can also be reached at levans@yorkdispatch.com.