An early Friday morning blaze left one man injured as he threw a burning microwave and refrigerator out of an apartment window.
Nine adults were displaced from a building in the 1100 block of West Poplar Street in West York, said Red Cross spokeswoman Melinda Roadcap.
The fire badly damaged a second-floor apartment, said building manager Dean Mellott, who said he worked to put out the blaze with three fire extinguishers.
Mellott, who has lived in the building for 36 years, said he was first alerted to the fire when he heard screaming downstairs.
"They were saying, 'Get up, get out,'" he said.
Mellott then went into the back hallway, which he said was engulfed in smoke.
Using fire extinguishers, he said he almost had the blaze completely out, except for a couple burning appliances.
He tossed a microwave and refrigerator out of an apartment window, burning his hand.
After that, his instinct was to run, "but I was worried about her," he said, referring to his female cat, who survived the fire in Mellott's third-floor apartment.
West York Police Chief Justin Seibel said police were dispatched to the fire at 3:15 a.m.
They evacuated all residents until the fire department arrived.
Four residents were taken to Memorial Hospital; two residents were treated for smoke inhalation, one was treated for a burn, and another was sent as a precaution because she's four months pregnant, he said.
Roadcap said the agency is providing them with shelter, clothing, food and comfort kits, which include personal hygiene items.
Officials with Reliance Fire Co. could not be reached for comment Friday morning. The owner of the building also could not be reached.
- Candy Woodall can also be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.