A fire in an apartment above the West York Inn Tuesday night has been blamed on a cigarette.
A man was smoking in bed when he accidentally set it on fire, said Ed Washington, chief of Reliance Fire Co.
Firefighters were dispatched to the 1400 W. Market St. building in West York a little after 8 p.m. for a report of smoke detectors going off.
Washington said he arrived on the scene and found smoke pouring throughout the second floor. He quickly started to evacuate residents from the building.
The fire was contained to the bed and the surrounding floor and wall, the chief said.
The man staying in the apartment was able to stay in another apartment in the building. Evacuated residents were allowed back in once firefighters cleared the scene.