A wheelchair-bound man was flown to a Maryland hospital after he was severely burned in a Washington Township home Wednesday night.

First responders were dispatched to the 500 block of South Kralltown Road just before 8:30 p.m. for the incident.

The man, in his 60s, got too close to a wall-mounted heater that has an open flame and was burned on both his legs, said Wellsville Fire Chief Larry Anderson.

A woman in the home with the man was able to extinguish the flames, the chief said.

The man was flown to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in Maryland, Anderson said.

No one else was injured and the fire did not spread to the house.