No one was hurt when a fire started in this home on Hykes Mill Road in Conewago Twp. on Monday, Feb. 4, 2013.
No one was hurt when a fire started in this home on Hykes Mill Road in Conewago Twp. on Monday, Feb. 4, 2013. (Bil Bowden)

A fire started by liquid solder damaged a Conewago Township home Monday morning, but didn't displace the man and woman who live there, Strinestown Fire Chief Steve Tawney said.

No one was hurt in the blaze, reported about 9:05 a.m. at a home in the 300 block of Hykes Mill Road, he said.

A contractor was soldering water lines in the home and caused the blaze when hot solder dripped through the floor, according to Tawney.

"Damage was confined to the (first-floor) bathroom and kitchen area -- most of it under the floor," he said. "It was tough to get at (the fire) because it was in a crawlspace."

Damage: Tawney estimated damage at $18,000. He said the husband and wife who live there can stay in the home.

Fire crews had the blaze under control in about 20 minutes, the chief said, and remained on scene until nearly 1 p.m. doing cleanup and overhaul work.

Trooper Brad Dunham, a state police fire marshal, ruled the fire accidental, according to Tawney.

The York-Adams Chapter of the American Red Cross provided food and drinks to firefighters at the scene, according to Red Cross spokeswoman Kathy Smyser, who said the agency will see if the residents need any help.

Assisting Strinestown crews at the scene were firefighters and equipment from Manchester, Emigsville, Newberrytown, York Haven, Fairview Township, West York and West Manchester Township, Tawney said.

-- Staff writer Liz Evans Scolforo can also be reached at levans@yorkdispatch.com.