A chimney fire spread to the walls and roof of a house in East Prospect, destroying an addition to the home Sunday morning.
Firefighters were able to hold the blaze to the 12-foot by 12-foot one-room addition, saving the rest of the house, said Jerry Hanson, fire chief of East Prospect Fire Co.
The family of two were in their 11 N. Main St. home when they smelled smoke and called 911 about 11:24 a.m., the chief said.
They got out of the house safely but were displaced by the fire. A church is allowing the couple to stay at a house it owns for a few days.
No injuries were reported, and damage is estimated at $20,000, Hanson said. In addition to East Prospect, fire crews from Wrightsville, Yorkana, Craley and Hellam were dispatched to the blaze.