An elderly Shrewsbury Township man died after being exposed to carbon monoxide on Friday night.

York County Coroner Barry Bloss said 82-year-old Charles Sheffer of the 1200 block of S. Susquehanna Trail died at York Hospital. A blood test will be taken to confirm Sheffer died because of carbon monoxide poisoning, Bloss said.

Shrewsbury Fire Co. was dispatched at 6 p.m. to combat a fire at Sheffer's house, according to fire officials. Sheffer was found unconscious and under cardiac arrest.

While he was taken to the hospital, fire crews discovered the fire was caused by a malfunctioning gas-fired hot water heater and utilities were shut down. No other people were found inside the home.