Scott Wagner isn't backing down yet.
The president of Penn Waste said Friday he is sticking by his earlier allegation that York City officials improperly corresponded with representatives of a competitor during a recent bid process.
And, Wagner said, he still thinks the city should eliminate a fuel-reimbursement formula from its bid specifications.
Wagner said he'll be at Tuesday's York City Council meeting to urge the city again to re-bid a four-year trash-hauling contract that would start May 1.
"The re-bid process will do nothing but save the city money," Wagner said. "I think there should be a timeout period. They should investigate it. They have plenty of time. It's not like the contract starts Jan. 1."
The contract is on Tuesday's council agenda just as it appeared Nov. 7. At that meeting, the council voted 3-2 against awarding the contract to low-bidder York Waste.
The vote followed a presentation from Wagner, who argued that his company would actually be the low bidder if the city eliminated a "fuel escalator" from the contract. Penn Waste is York City's current trash hauler.
Cut short: Wagner's remarks were cut short when city Solicitor Mark Elion advised council President Carol Hill-Evans to stop the presentation.
Elion alleged Wagner was violating a rule that requires municipalities and companies vying for municipal bids to limit all communication to written correspondence copied to all of the bidders.
That's the same rule Wagner said the city and York Waste violated, a charge the city and company deny.
Last week, the city's director of public works said he'd decided to return to the council with his original recommendation of approving a contract with York Waste. Jim Gross said he has met with council members since the Nov. 7 meeting to answer questions.
Wagner said he'll show up Tuesday with a lawyer. He said he's not yet sure what he'll say or if he'll be allowed to speak.
"We're dealing now with freedom of speech," he said.
-- Erin James may also be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.