A York City woman escaped serious injury Thursday when her foot went through a floor of her home, a fire official said.
The woman, whose name wasn't released, was walking down the second-floor hallway of her row home in the 400 block of Prospect Street about 1 p.m. when the aging floor collapsed and her foot went through, York City Fire Capt. Mark Bowman said.
The woman's leg became stuck from the shin down, with her knee above floor level, he said.
He said simply pulling her leg free wasn't an option, because it would have injured her further.
"You've got to use more finesse than that," Bowman said. "All we had to do was remove part of the floor that was broken already. Once we removed that, she was able to get her leg out."
Quick rescue: It took city fire/rescue crews about five minutes to free the woman's leg, which was scratched and bruised, the captain said.
White Rose Ambulance then took her to York Hospital to be checked out.
"It could have been a lot worse," Bowman said. "But it could've been a lot better, too. She was in a lot of discomfort until we freed her leg."
The woman's landlord arrived on scene very quickly, which was good because he was able to cut power to the home, Bowman said.
Rescuers were concerned the woman's leg might touch an electrical wire beneath the hallway floor, he said.
The landlord was already preparing to repair the floor before crews cleared the scene, Bowman said.
-- Staff writer Liz Evans Scolforo can also be reached at email@example.com.