A fire, which has been blamed on cooking, at a York Township home on Sunday displaced an older couple.

The couple was not hurt, nor were any firefighters, but one of the couple's two cats died, said Nate Tracey, the York Township fire chief.

"I believe they're a bit shaken up but they'll be OK," the chief said of the couple.

The fire started when food on a stove caught alight and flames spread to the attic of the home in the 400 block of Chancellor Road, Tracey said.

Much of the drywall ceiling in the single-story home collapsed into rooms, rendering the home uninhabitable, he said, adding utilities to the home were also shut off.

The couple is being assisting by their family and friends, Tracey said.

When first responders were dispatched to the fire just after 4 p.m., they were initially sent to a neighboring home on Walters Road in Spring Garden Township after calls to 911 indicated the fire was there.

The first arriving York Area United Fire & Rescue crews found smoke in the area but quickly realized they were at the wrong home and went to the correct one, Tracey said.

An estimate on damage was not available Sunday. York Area Regional Police Detective Donald Hopple, Jr. will investigate the blaze.

— Reach Greg Gross at ggross@yorkdispatch.com.



Advertisement