York City firefighters battle a kitchen blaze in the 200 block of East Cottage Place Tuesday, June 10, 2014.
York City firefighters battle a kitchen blaze in the 200 block of East Cottage Place Tuesday, June 10, 2014. (Courtesy of York City Fire Department)

No one was hurt Tuesday morning when fire erupted in the kitchen of a York City home, York City Fire Capt. Mark Bowman said.

City fire crews were called to a home in the 200 block of East Cottage Place about 7:10 a.m., according to the York County 911 Center.

When crews arrived, they found that an off-duty colleague on his way home from work made it to the home first and began battling the fire, Bowman said.

It was quickly extinguished, he said.

The woman who lives there was not displaced, according to the captain, but the kitchen of her rental home sustained extensive damage.

She will not be able to cook in the kitchen until repairs are made, the captain said.

The resident had been cooking earlier in the morning when a grease fire started on her stove, but she put it out herself, according to Bowman. That included taking down mini-blinds melted by the fire, he said.

"We believe the earlier grease had extended into the wall and smoldered there for hours," Bowman said.

The rest of the home sustained some smoke damage, he said.

-- Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com.