A spring house on a farm in Codorus Township was destroyed by a fire that started when a stray ember from a wood stove landed on its roof Sunday.
Capt. Doug Dorer of the Lineboro (Maryland) Fire Co. said the ember blew out of the chimney, forcing the homeowner to climb onto the wood-shingled roof to put it out. But the wind blew it away from him, setting the roof alight.
First responders from Lineboro and southern York County were dispatched to the farm in the 5000 block of Glen Echo Road about 2:50 p.m.
Firefighters had the fire, which was contained to the roof and attic of the two-story, wood-frame 18-by-18-foot building, out in quick order. Despite that, the building, which was used for storage and is one of a number of outbuildings on the property, is a total loss, Dorer said.
Damage is estimate between $30,000 and $40,000. No injuries were reported.
— Reach Greg Gross at firstname.lastname@example.org.