A chimney fire caused no more than $1,000 in damage to a Chanceford Township house on Thursday, a fire official said.

Flames from a malfunctioning chimney spread outside it at the floor line of the first and second floors of a home in the 600 block of Richmond Road. The fire also spread to a bathroom, said Ron Witmer, chief of New Bridgeville Fire Co.

Crews had the blaze out shortly after they arrived on the scene, he said.

First responders from New Bridgeville were dispatched about 3 p.m.

They arrived to find light smoke and flames and called for additional tankers from surrounding departments since there aren't any hydrants in the rural area, the chief said.

A homeowner was inside at the time of the fire and called 911. No injuries were reported, Witmer said.

The homeowner was advised not to use the fireplace until the issue is fixed.

- Reach Greg Gross at ggross@yorkdispatch.com.