No one was hurt during a small fire in a West York duplex Tuesday morning, but residents on one side of the building will be temporarily displaced until the mess can be cleaned up, a borough fire official said.
Firefighters were called to a home in the 1800 block of Monroe St. about 10:35 a.m. for a mattress fire.
But borough highway department employee John Love had already used a fire extinguisher to knock down the bulk of the flames, according to West York Fire Capt. Stu Frey.
West York police officers assisted Love, borough police said.
Smoking in bed: A man who lives in the home told officers he was smoking in bed, fell asleep and later awoke on the floor to find the mattress engulfed in flames, according to police.
He was treated at the scene for symptoms of smoke inhalation, but declined to be transported to a local hospital, police said.
Frey said the fire has been attributed to careless smoking.
The mattress was in a second-floor bedroom. Fire was contained to that room, which sustained smoke and fire damage, the captain said.
There is some smoke damage throughout the second floor, as well as a small amount of smoke damage in the attached home, Frey said.
Cleanup necessary: The residents of the home where the fire started should be able to return home after the second floor is cleaned up, he said. The residents in the attached home were not displaced, according to Frey.
The York-Adams Chapter of the American Red Cross helped the displaced family contact its insurance company, and also gave the family special soap that eliminates the smell of smoke from clothing and other washable items, according to Red Cross spokeswoman Kathy Smyser.
Assisting West York firefighters at the scene were crews from York City and West Manchester and Dover townships, police said, as well as from York Area United.
Crews cleared the scene about 11:30 a.m., Frey said.
-- Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at firstname.lastname@example.org.