An old farmhouse was lost in a fire Friday in Shrewsbury Township.

The fire, in the 1700 block of Waltimyer Road, caused between $75,000 and $100,000 in structural and content damages, said Tony McGillin, chief of Rose Fire Co. in New Freedom.

Firefighters were dispatched to the scene shortly before 3 p.m. They saw heavy smoke as they arrived. Then flames began shooting through the roof near the chimney area, McGillin said.

Firefighters entered the home through the front door, running up the second floor to attack the flames in the attic area.

They knocked down the blaze in 20 minutes, McGillin said. They cleared the scene about 5:15 p.m.

The fire was caused by a malfunctioning wood burning stove. Flames had burned up the wood siding of the house before moving up into the attic, McGillin said.

The property's owner said he will not rebuild the farm house, the fire chief said.

People who were renting the house were not home when the fire started, but were at the scene when firefighters arrived, McGillin said.

No one was injured in the incident, he said.

Assisting at the scene were firefighters from Glen Rock, Shrewsbury, Stewartstown and Maryland Line, Md., McGillin said.

-Reach Eyana Adah McMillan at emcmillan@yorkdispatch.com.


Advertisement