Residents of York City's 200 block of South Hartley Street were evacuated earlier today because an odor of gas was detected in the area.

Most residents have been able to return to their homes, York City Fire Chief David Michaels said just after 4 p.m.

But a few people are still waiting for the all-clear, he said.

Michaels said the fire department was alerted Friday morning to a possible gas leak, adding that the problem has since been resolved.

A Rabbit Transit bus arrived to provide shelter for displaced residents while Columbia Gas crews investigated, Michaels said.

The chief said he's not sure how many people were affected.