Asbury United Methodist Church will be back in its worship facility Sunday after a recent roof fire.
"We are so grateful to God, grateful to our neighbors and to our city who have reached out to us in wonderful ways," said Yvette Davis, lead pastor at the church at 340 E. Market St. in York City.
Small fire: City firefighters extinguished a small fire in Asbury's roof on shortly after 7 a.m. Friday, Feb. 14. No one was in the church at the time. Weekend services were canceled because of the fire.
The fire was accidental and was caused by a malfunctioning heating unit, said Fire Chief David Michaels.
Davis said fire and water damage was minimal and easily fixed. Weekend
"We are praising God profusely for that," she said. "The York City Fire Department was just absolutely outstanding, as was Price Refrigeration. We are so grateful to our neighbors on Reineke Place who saw smoke coming out of the building."
Sunday service: Asbury's Sunday services will be held, as usual, in the church's sanctuary and auditorium, she said.
Asbury holds its 9 a.m. contemporary services in its Mary E. Young Auditorium. The 11 a.m. traditional service is in the sanctuary.
While work was done on the church's roof area and heating unit, church members worshipped Sunday at Fourth United Methodist Church, also in the city.
Asbury's small groups held their worship services in individual homes, Davis said.
—Reach Eyana Adah McMillan at email@example.com.