Relax, avid customers of Darren Borodin's hot-dog stand.

He's not going anywhere.

After waiting several weeks to find out if he'd have competition for York City's lone food-cart license, Borodin received a welcome phone call from City Hall on Wednesday morning.

"I was definitely a bit anxious," Borodin said.

The caller informed the father of three that no one else had applied for the license, negating the need for a lottery selection.

That means Borodin will continue in 2014 to operate his food cart on the northeast quadrant of Continental Square, as he's done for the past two years.

And that ends the "emotional rollercoaster ride" Borodin was on for the past few weeks. The business, which supports Borodin and his three kids, was in jeopardy.

In 2011, York City officials passed a law opening Continental Square to one licensed food-cart vendor. The license lasts one year. At the end of each year, the city solicits applications from anyone interested in the license.

If more than one person applies, the city chooses a winner through a lottery system.

For several months last year, it seemed likely the city council would amend the ordinance to allow more hand-operated food carts in an expanded area of the city and nix the lottery system before Borodin's 2013 license expired.

But, after public interest in the plan increased, council members decided to spend more time developing the proposal.

That meant the city would maintain a single license and select a 2014 vendor through the lottery system, if necessary.

In the end, Borodin was the only person to submit an application before the deadline Tuesday.

"I'm a big believer in fate, and I knew I was going to be OK either way," Borodin said.

In the colder months, Borodin usually takes a break from selling hot dogs. But expect to see him on the square before the end of January.

He'll return with a new-and-improved cart that will provide him shelter in cold and rainy weather. He'll also be adding coffee to the food-cart's menu.

Borodin said he's also eager to see the city council finish the project it started in September to overhaul the food-cart law.

"I think the ordinance will definitely be changed," he said. "I can't see this happening again."

-- Reach Erin James at ejames@yorkdispatch.com.